Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Traumatized?

Maybe I'm being a bit dramatic, but....

I'm not sure who was more traumatized: Ellie or mama. Little pookie had her two month well visit yesterday - and her immunizations. Three were given as shots and one was given orally. I know it's her job, but the nurse pinned downed Ellie's legs and gave her three jabs in the thighs. Ellie handled the first shot decently, but was shocked and panicked as she was jabbed a second and then third time. Her expression almost showed betrayal, and I felt like crap and like I failed to protect her. Ellie was not happy. I wasn't either.

If you've spent any time with Ellie, then you know she loves getting her diaper changed. She can be in the middle of a huge tantrum, but will quiet down as soon as you begin the diaper changing process. (Of course she's back to fussing as soon as you're done.) Well, after the immunization experience we headed home for a quiet, calm evening. I went to change her diaper and, to my surprise, when I laid her down she began freaking out. She was laying on her back in only a diaper, just like she had been only a few hours before for her shots. She had the same sort of panicked expression that I saw on her face at the doctor's office. Her first tear streaked down her cheek. We transitioned to the rocker to try to relax a little bit. She just put her head on my shoulder and made the saddest little whimpering noises for ten minutes or so before she dozed off.

Worst experience ever! :(

2 comments:

Charity Preuss said...

Just wait till she can remember the drs office and as soon as you get there she starts crying.

ReeRee said...

That just shows how SMART she is...she can relate the two situations!!! And she gets more and more beautiful. I love the picture of her on New Years.
I want more!!!!
ReeRee

 
View My Stats